Sunday, December 22, 2013

Thirteen Reasons Why and Before I Die

            Thinking of books that I’ve liked that I’ve read in the past Thirteen Reasons Why and Before I Die comes to mind. Though these books have to be two of the most depressing books you’ll ever read, they are worth the time to read.
            The first book I mentioned, Thirteen Reasons Why is by Jay Asher and is about why Hannah Baker committed suicide. The book is from the viewpoint of Clay Jenson where he had just returned home from school to find cassette tapes on his front porch, it turns out that they were from Hannah Baker where she had recorded herself saying the thirteen reasons why she committed suicide and why the people the tapes were sent to are the reason she committed suicide.
            It’s a really sad book. Clay the whole time in it is all like if I would have just did this or if I just would have said this to her, see because Clay had a crush on Hannah, but was to chicken to act out on it. The reason why I like this book is because its reality teenagers commit suicide everyday from bullying and I just thought that this book was expressing how teenagers feel and how others feel after they’re gone. Though, this book is sad, it’s worth reading to even understand the signs of someone committing suicide or for a good read.
            Now the second book I mentioned is by Jenny Downham which is about a girl named Tessa that has cancer. The story is about what she wants to do before she dies or also known as her bucket list. The main things on her bucket list are of fame and to have sex (yeah, parts of this book aren’t that appropriate.) The book was extremely depressing, another thing on Tessa’s bucket list was to stay alive to see her best friend’s baby, as you can see as I said it was really depressing you can probably guess what happened.
            The reason I think that this is a book worth reading is it’s like Thirteen Reasons Why in the aspect of it’s a great read, but also just for the readers to live their life to the fullest, you never know when you’ll die, so it’s best to live by yolo.
            Now going through recent movie (this was about a year ago keep in mind) I came across the movie Now Is Good, I clicked on the movie because it had Dakota Fanning in it, but after reading the summer I realized I had either seen the movie or read something like it, after looking it up I came to realize that Now Is Good is based upon the book by Jenny Downham, though they have different names.
 The book was way better than the movie, but I admit the movie made me ball my eyes out by the end of the movie because Tessa (Dakota Fanning) seems completely emotionless about the fact that she is going to be dying soon, and then you come to the end of the movie, and it just hits you like a rock. Overall, I hated the movie (only because it made me cry), but it was a good movie to watch, definitely like a chick flick, but with an actually sad ending.

I think that these two books are probably the two most depressing books, but they are also the books with a great story to tell, and for the readers to learn something from them; that is why I think that both of these should be on the list of young adults to read. Maybe these books will make going through whatever your going through a bit easier to understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment