Thursday, October 24, 2013

Beautiful Creatures


            So a book I read a couple of years ago that I didn’t enjoy whatsoever was called Beautiful Creatures. Beautiful Creatures is written by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl and consists of four books including Beautiful Creatures, Beautiful Darkness, Beautiful Chaos, and Beautiful Redemption. I read only the first book and I just didn’t care for it, I don’t know why this book didn’t appeal to me as much as other books I’ve read in the past because I can solemnly say that with all the books I’ve read I’ve only not liked a couple of them (when I say read a book, I mean reading a book of my free choosing and not getting forced to read it by my language arts teacher.)

            Now the one reason I was really annoyed with the book Beautiful Creatures is because it has absolutely no good use of vocabulary, in the book it’s literally all in words that the common person would understand. I feel like the book was written by someone my age because of the words used in the book. And because I was reading the book for reading workshop and had to get 3 vocabulary words I didn’t know it was very difficult for me to find words I didn’t know. But maybe I'm just being really skeptical about the series, I don't really know.

            These are also very lengthy books the first book I know contains about 600 or so pages. I read the whole first book and just couldn’t make myself read the other three books; for all I know the last three books could be fantastic, but I finished the first one and didn’t like it. I don’t know if it’s because I feel like it’s written by a person that uses popular words or the story itself, but I just didn’t care for it as much as some people do.

            The book is basically about how the main character Ethan Wate has been stuck in the same place his whole life and nothing new really happened until a new girl that was really weird named Lena Duchannes came along and strange shenanigans start to happen. That’s basically all I remember about the book, I just know I didn’t care for it that much.

            Beautiful Creatures was also turned into a movie which I did wait till the movie came out and saw it. I think the movie was better than the book. That sounds so rude because normally always the books are better than the movies, but I think in this case the movie was better than the book. I think the book just had a lot of useless details that I thought were pointless to the story while the movie just shortened it up; that’s probably why I enjoyed the movie more so than the book. I think the movie was pretty good, definitely not one of my favorite movies or a movie that I want to watch again, I think that it was an okay movie, but it’s not one of those movies that people just have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment