Thursday, September 26, 2013

Book Quote #1


            Great quotes in books is one of my favorite things about reading because some quotes are just downright hilarious and others have deeper meaning to them; where people have to uncover all the stuff everyone already knows and get to the middle of the creamed donut. Sometimes while reading I stop what where I’m reading and just re-read a meaningful or hilarious quote until I fully understand its full potential and why it’s meaningful or funny.

            My favorite quotes from books are the ones that have deeper meaning and are humorous at the same time. An example of one of my favorite quotes is in the next paragraph.

“People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.”

This is my first favorite quote from the book Wizard’s First Rule by: Terry Goodkind it is the first book in the series called the Sword of Truth. I really enjoy this quote and when anyone asks me my favorite quote I instantly tell them about the above quote. The reason I love this quote is because first the author, Terry Goodkind, is a great writer, second this is my favorite book, and lastly because this is a humorous quote that is exceptionally true. When thinking about the quote some people might say that it’s extremely rude to say that people are stupid, but if people really think about it, everyone is stupid; people still have a lot to learn and life and it’s impossible that they will learn everything before they die.

I also just think that the last part of the quote is true as well because sometimes we convince ourselves that something is true because we don’t want to know the alternative so we accept their lie as the truth. Another thing about the quote is that people do believe they can tell when others are lying, but that’s certainly not the case because scientists say by just observing someone it’s not always possible to tell when they are lying or telling the truth, yeah some people make it more easier than others when they are lying, but some people are ‘good’ liars, so I think when Terry Goodkind says in the book about how people’s heads are filled with knowledge, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the truth.

This quote wasn’t just saying that people are stupid, yes it did say it about three times that people are stupid, but it has deeper meaning then people being stupid. It is one of the rules in life, not everyone will know everything and even if they did that doesn’t make them smarter or even what they know true; what makes people smart is being able to decipher what people say and the meanings behind everything else. That is why I love this quote by Terry Goodkind.

No comments:

Post a Comment